Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To the beginning couponer

I had the opportunity to take a new couponer I met through PYP shopping a couple weeks ago. It was a lot of fun. She got some great deals, and I hope that she keeps at it. I noticed, though, that she was a little skeptical. I've been thinking since then and wanted to write a post to new couponers.

When you start out, it's hard to see the point. You have your first set of inserts, just a fraction of the coupons that are out there. And your pantry is living shopping trip to shopping trip. There is no reserve.

I'd suggest getting what deals you can. When you see something that you have a coupon for that is a good deal, stock up (that's where the need for multiple coupons comes in). Don't buy just one!! Then, shop for everything else like normal. Slowly, you will see your stockpile fill up and you will be shopping from it more and the store less. I once heard a couponer describe her food storage as a store where everything is 75% off. Who wouldn't want to shop there?

I find myself buying only "hot" deals in my grocery trips in addition to necessary perishables. I pass up a lot of "good" sales to wait for the even better deals, because I can. I just use my storage. It takes awhile to get to this stage, but is wonderful when you get there.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Sharla, that's a really good point. I keep meaning to take up couponing, but I put it off for so many reasons. You should do a class or something.

Claire said...

how fun you got to do that. I have 2 friends here that have recently gotten into it too so I've been helping them but I see their skepticism too. They feel like they've stocked up on junk food but nothing else. I wish they had more produce coupons...but that's why Ream's is so nice! :) Hopefully my friends will keep at it and see the savings and stockpile shortly. I've been really into it the past year and a half now and totally see a difference! And I only buy the WOW or 5 star deals too, unless I really really NEED something.

Stina said...

Thanks for keeping me updated on coupons. I had my first couponing trip today and saved TONS!! You've inspired me.

Could you do a post on how double coupons work? And what they are?

Thanks!

Sharla said...

Christina, way to go on your first coupon trip! I promise they'll get easier. Doesn't it feel great to save?

Oh, and I'm glad you asked about doubles. It didn't even occur to me to explain them. When you get into couponing you start speaking "coupon-ese" and don't even know that you're talking jibberish to everyone else. ;) I'll get to that post.

Sharla said...

Heidi, I did a monthly class for awhile, but replaced it with these emails. Maybe it was when you weren't in the ward? Anyway, you're free to come over for a crash-course anytime. :)